Mental exercise brings about brain stimulation, which brings about growth.
Unfortunately, the average person doesn’t exercise their brain too much.
Here are some reasoning problems that will STRE - E - TCH your mental 'muscles,' and provide you with some fun.
1) A man looks at a picture of a man on the wall and says "Brothers and sisters, I have none; but that man's father is my father's son!" Who is the man in the picture?
2) There are 3 cartons containing 2 hats each.
In one carton there are 2 black hats; in another there are 2 white hats; and in a third, there is a white hat and a black hat.
There are 3 labels BB - WW - WB placed incorrectly on each carton.
You are to label the cartons correctly, and for identification purposes, you can pull out as many hats as necessary.
What is the minimum number of hats that must be looked at to accomplish the correct labeling job and why?
3) If a duck and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many eggs would 6 ducks lay in 6 days?
4) Jim and John are both older than Joe.
Lorraine is younger than Jim, but older than John.
Marge is older than Jim.
Who is the youngest and who is next to the youngest?
5) With each letter representing one number, identify the correct numbers in the subtraction problem.
ZBZ-CZ = ZB ANSWERS: 1) His son.
2) You only need to take one hat from the carton labeled WB.
If it is black, then the carton must contain two black hats since the WB label is wrong.
If it is white, then the carton must contain 2 white hats.
After the BB or WW carton has been established, the other 2 cartons are simply marked opposite of the 2 remaining choices.
BB WW WB Contents Contents Contents Labeled: WB BB WW WW WB BB Contents Contents Contents Labeled: WB BB WW 3) If a duck and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, it would lay twice as many eggs in twice the time.
Therefore, in three days it would lay 3 eggs and in 6 days it would lay 6 eggs.
If a duck and a half lays 6 eggs in 6 days then 6 ducks (being 4 times greater than one and a half) would lay 4 times 6 or 24 eggs in the 6 days.
4) Joe is the youngest, and John is the next to the youngest.
5) 101 - 91 10